I got an email today from one of the higher-ups of the company, doTERRA, that I buy my essential oils from. I have becoming increasingly more inspired by what these oils have done, and continue to do for my and my family's health.
About a month ago, I got really sick. Right before Christmas. The week before we were supposed to leave town for a business trip, that meshed into a family trip, right before Christmas. Turns out, I tested positive for H1N1. Since I was diagnosed with Grave's disease, my immune system seems to be compromised. I catch everything. I never used to get sick.
Once, I started getting symptoms, I immediately went on the essential oil anti-viral regimen (2 drops of Oregano, 2 drops of Lemon, 2 drops of On-Guard (an oil blend that strengthens the immune system) in a capsule--3 times a day). On the second day, I decided to go to the doctor, just to get a diagnosis. Sure enough--Swine Flu. I had it bad. Fever, headache, nausea, fatigue, sinus congestion, cough, not to mention the razor blades in my chest. I immediately called my dear friend, Natalie, who I affectionately refer to as my Guru. That night, bless her heart, she came over with a whole slew of oils in her hands. She gave me an amazing spinal treatment, using Oregano (kills virus and bacteria), Thyme, Peppermint (which reduces fevers and settles upset stomach), and a massage blend called Aroma touch. Then she put a hot compress on me, and let me stew.
The next morning, I was amazed at how much better I felt. I could breath. I could get out of bed, and get things done to get ready for our trip in two days. By the day after that, I was almost completely better.
So, I thought I should copy paste a part of this email I got, that gives very specific instructions on how to prevent colds and flu from onset. I figure prevention is way better than trying to get over it once it's already in your system.
"It's funny that to many of our neighbors and friends Wendy and I are known as the Oil people. I wonder if they picture us flitting around the house in light flowing saffron fabric clothes, spritzing the air with lavender and patchouli oils as incense and diffusers are filling the air around us.
Of course that is until they've had it with weeks of flu like symptoms, they've lost their voice, and they've broken ribs from all the coughing. They have rashes from the anti-biotic that the doctor gave them that don't work on the flu anyway! (Antibiotics will not work with virus, only bacteria)
This is when they finally knock on the door, where we are greeted with the old axiom... "I'm willing to try anything; do you have an oil for this?"
This is quite discouraging to seasoned oilers who understand how essential oils work and how virus spreads. Even more discouraging that they would not trust you enough to try the oils until there was literally no other option.
What we know about flu virus is that once it enters the body through a mucus membrane, it attacks human cells very aggressively. Depending on the victim's immune system, it will take only a short time before the victim begins to feel symptoms. If you start to fight it aggressively at that point, it is likely that the severity and length of the sickness will weaken.
However, if the first symptoms are ignored or if little or no action is taken, you might find yourself in the middle of a health battle that will take some time and great effort!
Thus, the best way to combat cold and flu virus in the beginning is three fold...
1) Prevent virus from entering a mucus membrane.
2) Keep your body's immune system strong so virus is attacked and stopped before starts to spread.
3) AT THE ONSET (ATO) aggressively use essential oils and other tools to kill what virus has already started.
Cold & Flu Prevent--10 basics of prevention.
At the last doTerra convention, what prevention method did Dr. Hill bring up first?
1. Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you cough sneeze or wipe your nose. Tissues should be discarded immediately in a wastebasket.
This is more prevention for others in your family or in school, or the work place. But you should also be very aware of what you are touching with your hands. Do you wash your hands after using any facilities? Do you use a paper towel to turn off water faucets, or open or close stall and bathroom doors?
I do not use drinking fountains at all during flu season.
2. Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Discard the tissue immediately in a waste basket.
Again, in consideration of others.
3. Run your diffuser often in your home and at work. What oils? Any oil would be good, but consider On Guard for sure. It was developed to boost our immune systems, and guard us against pathogens. I hear it humming away right now as I write. We have several teachers in our kid's school running them during class time.
4. While we are talking on guard, I would also consider rubbing your children's and your own feet with on guard every night before bed time and every morning before they put shoes on for the day. Not only is it a bonding experience for you and your children, but it will bolster there immune systems.
5. Consider misting your family's bed sheets with a spritz of essential oils before bedtime. 10 drops of on guard or some other essential oil with a ¼ cup of water in a spray bottle - shake well. We sometimes use serenity which will both kill pathogens and can help induce a deeper sleep.
6. When doTerra started carrying Melissa essential oil, Dr. Hill recommended a daily routine during cold and flu season of 1 drop of Melissa and 1 drop of On-Guard under the tongue each morning. Great for boosting the immune system.
7. Put about 1 drop of lemon and 1 drop of lime essential oil for every 10-12 oz of water you and your family drink. Over time this will greatly strengthen the immune system. In our home, we have not had colds or flu of any significance in over a year since we started incorporating essential oils in our household. And this is one have been consistent with.
8. As always, as you clean regularly around your home, use essential oils to clean. Purify, On guard or lemon in a spray bottle used for cleaning will assure pathogen free surfaces.
9. Take care of your body! This might be as or more important than any preventive oils you can take. You must get regular sleep - 8 hours continuous. No late nights or strange hours. Eat healthy food, plenty of fruits, vegetables and water, especially during flu season!!
10. Make your home a happy place, free from stress. A haven with kind words and positive thoughts. Make home a place of safety and refuge. As storms rage on, have your home be a house of prayer, gratitude, health and love.
These are all things we can do that will create of synergy of protection for your home and family."
For more information on essential oils, and to read some great articles on how they work, you can visit my friend Natalie's blog: iamdoterra.blogspot.com.