Friday, April 17, 2009

Random Sherisms, and Random Tunes

First, I just have to point out the neat thing I figured out how to do this morning. Last night, while playing around on the Internet, I came a across a website called reverbnation, that is similar to the mp3.com site, but cooler. The coolest thing? They have widgets that allow me to put my music on my blog! So, now you don't have to go on a wild goose chase to hear samples of my music. You can just go over to the sidebar on the left, and click play.

So far, I only put my original songs on there, but just know there are some really awesome hymn arrangements on my album, too.

So, go turn it on and listen while you read the rest of this post. And people, I really want some comments this time. I want to know what you really think. Do you just love it? No, it's not rock out, dance with your mop while your cleaning the house kind of music. These are some of the things I think my music is good for (and what I use it for--yes, I listen to my own songs--all the time--I'm a dork): play it for your kids at bedtime to help them get to sleep (I have a lullaby album in the works, by the way), background music while you read, mood music for Sunday afternoon, background music while you relax in the bath, perfect romantic music for your wedding (this works much better live--hire me. Please. I take requests, too).

Just some suggestions. And remember my promo is still going on til the end of the month. If you purchase a CD, you will get free shipping, AND a free sheet music download (if you want it--no obligation to accept the free gift).

Also, I am aware that the economy is in the crapper, so I set up a button for you to download single songs on mp3 files. I'm still working out the bugs on that, so for now, once you have paid through Paypal, I will email you the mp3 files. Sorry, I know that's a pain because you don't get your song immediately, but it's better than nothing, right?!! And the songs are only 99 cents each (+ tax)! So, if you have a song or two (or twelve) that you love and gotta have, go over to my other blog (sherrieshepherdpiano.blogspot.com) and download yourself some tunes!!

*************

Now that I've got my shameless self promotion out of the way, I can proceed with more randomness. I had another epiphany. And surprisingly it was not while running. You know how last week, I was whining and complaining about my kids whining and complaining? Well, that was pretty sugar-coated (that's punny, and you'll see why in a minute). All last week, and into this week, our house has been full of emotional imbalances. Mother Hulk and her three little green monsters. Some nights, I was a raving lunatic. Sometimes, I think if I hear one more tantrum, have to break up one more fight, or listen to any more whining about how bored you are, I'm going to rocket straight thought the roof! I'm telling you there was one day that I was very seriously considering putting my children up for sale on the Internet.

Hey, there's an idea, buy a CD, get a free bratty kid. Ha ha. Rest assured, I have calmed down from that point, and no my children are not for sale. Today.

Then, around Tuesday night, we ran out of the Easter candy that we'd all been eating for every meal for the entire week.

And on Wednesday, something miraculous happened. We all ate a wholesome meal for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. And didn't munch on sugar all day. And amazingly enough, there were no tantrums, there was minimal fighting, and the Mother Hulk turned back into the calm, easy going bio-scientist nurturing parent.

It's amazing how much sugar affects us emotionally. Sugar is like my own personal brand of heroine (what is that line from?). It's so addictive, and mood altering. It's very, very bad.

New goal: no more sugar.

Ok, ok, I realize I can't completely go cold turkey. Because when you find me huddled up into a ball in a dark corner of my closet, shaking, shivering, and sweating from withdrawals, you may just want to put me out of my misery.

But, I am going to make a very conscious effort to minimize my sugar intake, and my children's sugar intake, for that matter.

**************

That reminds me. Have you ever seen this book?


When KJ was about 2, we used to go to the library all the time. I think we checked this book out at least a dozen times. It's hilarious. And everything in it is absolutely true. Go check it out!

**************
The other thing I was thinking about has just left the great and spacious building that is my head. It's mostly empty.
Oh, that reminded me. I remember now.
Did you know that I have an editor for my blog? Yeah. Ok, well, he's not actually an editor, per se. More like a proof-reader, who only tells me about all of the mistakes I made, and only about 8 + hours after I've posted.
Last night, C pointed out to me the enormous irony in one mistake I made in yesterday's post. I didn't go back and change it, so you can go look at it and laugh at me.
I wrote: "I not exactly stupid." instead of, "I'm not exactly stupid."
Ironic, isn't it.
Boy, do I feel dumb. Maybe I really are stupid.
*************
That's all I've got for the moment. But I am excited to be going to a Utah Grizzlies hockey game tonight, for the first time in I don't know how many years. Nothing like a good brawl on the ice! I'd forgotten how much I like hockey. I'm excited!
*************
And here are your tunes:
1. Defying Gravity - Idina Menzel & Kristen Chenowith (Wicked)
2. Money in the Bank - John Anderson
3. There is No Arizona - Jamie O'Neal
4. Weird Science - Oingo Boingo
5. Prelude - George Winston
6. Savin' Me - Nickelback
7. Imagine - John Lennon
8. Yes - Coldplay
9. Somebody to Love - Queen
10. Chasing Pavements - Adele
Bonus: Better Than This - Keane (for you Tib)

21 comments:

deb@virginia blue said...

I just love the random posts...they're always so much fun to read!!

Hey...how hard would it be for me to get the code for your music badge to put up on my blog for LDS women?? (smallandsimpleblog.blogspot.com)

It could give you some extra exposure, and provide visitors with a glimpse of your awesome talent!! Plus, I could put all the information up regarding the pre-ordering of your CD...

what do ya think??

Jo said...

It took a while to start up, but after a bit it worked. I LOVE it. Sometimes I like to listen to music when I read, and other times I don't, so being able to choose to play it works for me. Amazing to me to think it is your skilled fingers putting out those beautiful sounds. (well, with the help of a piano, but you know what I mean)
You r not stupid, you are a busy mom and artist who barely has time to use the potty by herself, much less proofread! Don't worry about it.

Wonder Woman said...

I love your music. Always have. And it's perfect for all the things you listed. In fact, I know someone getting married in Salt Lake soon -- I'll mention you to her mom. No promised beyond that, but they'd probably have money for a pianist!

That's very interesting about the sugar/mommy monster and spawn. Very interesting, indeed. I'll take that into consideration. Junior mints are definately my own personal brand of heroin. --I can't believe you quoted Twilight. What a sell-out. ;)

I linked to you for randomness, so I'm glad you came through. Have fun at the game tonight! Sweat, blood and cute winter wear -- it doesn't get better than that!

Just SO said...

Oh girl you have talent. That is beautiful and it would be perfect for a Sunday around here. I need to look at my finances and see about getting this cd. I adore the piano and people like you who play it well.


I hear of people going off of sugar all the time. I don't think I could do it. Good luck.

mCat said...

And I turn into the hulk if I don't have sugar! But I think you are wise to cut back. Not OUT, back mind you.

Love your music, love your random's, love your guts.
Have a great run tomorrow!!

Kristina P. said...

I am usually my own editor. The next day. When I see an error I made and no one told me, and then I feel like a moron.

Cynthia said...

Yeah! I am so glad to be listen to your music on the blog now- so much easier. I'm going to put this on for the hubs when he gets home (I've been telling him about your beautiful music).

Barney Family Blog said...

I want to put your music on my blog. I think I will try and call you today and get instructions on how to.

Erin said...

I sure didn't notice the mistake yesterday. And I'm listening to your music right now and I love it! I will be sending my order in soon...as soon as I remember and sit down and do it.

Lisa said...

Congrats on figuring out how to put your music on. I love it! Are you still offering one free sheet music with CD purchase?

On the misspelling/proofreading thing...It's your blog and you can spell things how ever you want to. Enough said.

Missy said...

WOW! You are so talented! Awesome music!

Anonymous said...

Sherrie, I love your music. I have always thought you were so talented. I wish I could play like that! You're amazing!

Unknown said...

My favorite song is "September Morn". You're right; this is soothe-your-soul music. Well done, you talented lady!

I admit to seeing the little typo in your last post. I just figured you were channeling one of your kids. "I NOT TIRED! I NOT!!" It happens...

* said...

The monster mum book looks cute (I'm a children's librarian but have never seen that book before). Also, I so hear you on the sugar thing. I realize that if I don't start eating anything sugary to begin with, then my cravings don't escalate. Just a thought. ;)

PS: found you on Mormon Mommy blogs.

tammy said...

That book looks cute. I think I'm going to have to get it to read to my preschool class.

kado! said...

You are so funny! I totally agree about the Easter candy part!

I usually have the sound off on my lap-top...but I turned it on just for you! I think your music is beautiful...I do have to tell you though I was told to turn it off by my husband...he is here in the same room and trying to read...he also used to cry when-ever his mom practiced the piano(i have no idea why? Neither does she.)...so please don't be offended! You said you wanted honesty...so i'm just including it...but I how-ever will listen to it again when I read you blog in solitude!

hope you are having a fun weekend!

Rhea said...

That mom monster book looks adorable! My boys would love that one. And Sugar does have a big effect on us all, I know.

I'm with the SITS Welcome Wagon, and I've come by to say hi! I've been with SITS since the beginning. I've read so many fun blogs and met so many amazing women through this supportive community. It's a great place on the Internet! Welcome SITSta!

Nick and Stacey said...

Your Music is Beautiful! Nick always proofreads my stuff too! Oh well, I think that is what they think their contribution to the blog is! Just know none of us care, because we all do it!

wendy said...

Ah - Hockey, the sport of the Canuks. Man they do brawl don't they. I love my Calgary Flames.
gotta check out your music --how do I go about buying one of your CD's??
and hey - You is not an idiot

Mikki said...

I love your cd Sher!!! I listened to it all the way through on my way to work the other day. It's wonderful. I was thinking that it would make a lovely gift item too. I'm going to have to put in an order for several to give as gifts.

Shauna said...

Come on over to my blog to see you won the giveaway :)