Friday, May 28, 2010

The Road Show, by Braden Bell

The Road Show The Road Show by Braden Bell


My rating: 5 of 5 stars
I was honored when I received a phone call informing me that Braden was interested in having me write a song to go along with his book. Little did I know what an amazing journey accepting that request would be for me.
In order to capture the feeling (and the lyric) for the song, Braden sent me a copy of the manuscript. At first, I skipped right to the end, and read through nothing but the song lyrics.
Thankfully, in a fit of inspiration, I stepped away from the piano, put down my pencil and just started to read. I read through the entire book in less than 2 days.
I wasn't sure what I was expecting, since this was Braden's first novel, and I don't read a lot of LDS literature...because a lot of it is cheesy.
This book captured me from page one. The characters and content were honest, and raw, and deeply powerful. There was one character in the story that I related to on such a personal level at times I felt like I was reading about myself.
Braden explores things in this book that I think need to be brought to light. We are all struggling with something. We are all different. And we can all be healed with the healing power of the Savior.
I loved the characters, I loved the message.
It was absolutely beautiful.

View all my reviews >>

7 comments:

Braden Bell said...

Wow, thank you, Sherrie. And thank you for your countless hours on the song! I am so excited for people to hear it. Truly beautiful.

Natalie said...

I cannot wait to hear the song! Your music is just amazing. I agree - a lot of lds books are cheesy. I love your review and am so excited for Braden's book.

{amy k.} said...

I read your post on "or so she says" and was very inspired by your willingness to share with the world your battle with depression. I too am fighting that battle and appreciate the honesty of other people who are open with all they go through. it's always helpful to find people who truly can relate. your review makes me excited to read this book and hear your song! thanks for sharing, and especially for your strength!

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

Loved the review of the book. I'm looking forward to being able to buy one.
I checked out the music you wrote for it.
Looks like it's going to sound good.

AS Amber said...

I'm excited to read the book and especially to hear your song! You're so incredibly gifted, my dear friend! Just love you so much!

Serene is my name, not my life! said...

I kept hearing all these great things about you from Tauna and Braden I thought I had better get over here to say hi and see for myself.And you are! Of course.
I'll be reviewing Braden's book on Saturday.
Love your music and I did see you several times at the CBC but was too chicken to introduce myself to a famous musician. :)

Missy said...

How exciting! This is great!