Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Nineteen Minutes - A Review

Nineteen Minutes Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
I got off to a rough start with this book. It took me 2 months to get to page 50. Then I put it down. It actually took the desire to read another book to get me to pick it up again and get through it so I could move on.
I guess it was me, not the book, because once I picked it up again, I laid in bed all day reading it till I was finished.
This is one of those books that you have to experience along with the characters. It left me wanting to shelter my children from the world, from bullies, from the popular crowds, my girls from abusive, controlling boyfriends. And it made me want to teach them they everyone has value, even if they're different from you.

My only dissappointments? I could've done without all of the F bombs and gratuitous sex scenes. And I was disappointed that we only heard recounts of the shooting from witness, that we didn't actually get to experience it for ourselves. I wanted action. I wanted blood and carnage and fear and suspence. I was disappointed that we only got to read about the aftermath, as heartwrenching as it was.

View all my reviews >>

2 comments:

wendy said...

Hey, I tried to comment on post above and it wouldn't go to your comment box, but the one below did --WHAT, go figure.
I read that book too. Pretty brutal ending eh. She is a good writer (except for the F bombs and such as you say) but her book are usualy quite tragic.

anyway, LAUNDRY --when does it end.
when your kids leave home
that's about it

Wonder Woman said...

I love Jodi Picoult. I loved this one, too. Like you I could've done without the language and sex, but I still really enjoyed it. And came away feeling the same as you -- wanting to shield my kids from every bad thing out there.