Monday, October 6, 2008

26.2: Rain, Pain and Insane!

OK. That title is lame. Sorry. I'm not feeling very creative today. Probably something to do with the fact that I'm tired and sore. And, no, that is NOT a complaint. I fully accept the side effects of such a crazy feat as running a marathon. And there are some very serious side effects after expending that much physical and emotional energy.

For instance: Immediately after crossing the finish line, you are filled with this adrenaline rush, this endorphin high, and for me, the only thing you can think about is "that was awesome! I want to do it again!" I know. I'm crazy. I get that same feeling after labor and delivering a baby. Seriously. Running marathons, giving birth, cliff diving....all items on the top of my list of exhilarating things to do.

And then there's the after effects. The soreness, the walking around like I just messed my pants because I can't get my legs to work. Walking down stairs backwards. My kids and hubby think that is hilarious. They will come and watch me walk down the stairs backward, whining and groaning as I go, just for kicks. And they like to ask me to go back upstairs to get them stuff, just to watch me go back down again. I'm on stair strike right now. This shouldn't be so hard, because my hubby is leaving today for Phoenix, and he's the troll that lives under the stairs. If he's not home, he NEVER go downstairs. EVER. He's the only reason I have to brave the dark recesses that lurk in our basement. That makes it sound like a dungeon. It's actually a pretty nice basement. Full daylight, lots of play space, and of course that's where Clint's got his big screen, so that's where he "lives".

I'm rambling. Do you want to hear about the race, instead of my basement? OK, fine.

Here's the play by play. If you don't want or need all the gory details, just skip to the end.

We caught the bus at 5 am. We happened to get a bus driver who takes his job VERY seriously. He stood up, before he would allow us to go, we all had to hush and listen to his little introduction. (Keep in mind we are sitting on a school bus). It was imperative that we all hear the safety features of the bus before leaving. So, just in case the bus catches fire, and spontaneously combusts, or whatever, we should exit through the back door. Make sure you bend your knees when you jump out, so you don't hurt yourself. And the reason we are so high is so when the cars run into us we won't feel it. At that moment, I missed my hubby terribly. I look around and could find no one to share in my dire need to seriously make fun of this person.

This is Cam & Larane (they are married) and me on the bus before the race. Yes, I'm sitting on Larane's lap. Shut up.

OK, I'm rambling again.

We made it to the start. It was already pouring rain. We stood in line for the porta-potty, while my oh-so-motivating friend Larane did a little potty cheerleading, trying to get the people in front of us to HURRY UP!!!

We were drenched before the race even started. I stood with Larane in the 3:30 pace section. While, I knew I couldn't finish that fast, I thought, why not get a head start.

Larane zoomed past me, and left me in her dust within the first mile. (She is hardcore fast, and totally admire her).

Around mile 3 the 3:40 pace group caught up to me. I thought, OK, so if I can stay with these guys the whole race, then I might actually qualify for Boston. *note: you get crazy thoughts while running in the driving rain, before the pain sets in*

I kept up with the group for about 4 miles. Then at mile 7, looming in front of us, in all its daunting glory was the dreaded Veyo hill. A 1 mile long steep climb. I slowed. I lost the 3:40 group. OK, I said, just stay ahead of the 3:50 group.

Just then, three of my friends, Annette, Trent, and Nicole from my running group, caught up to me. Annette, another running icon that I look up to, zoomed ahead. Then Trent. Nicole was kind enough to stay with me. We ran together for about ten miles. But, at mile 17's aid station, I decided I needed a snack, and a good rubdown with some icy hot. (God bless those wonderful volunteers!) So, she took off ahead.

And the 3:50 pace group passed me. OK, but I can't let the 4 hour group pass me. At mile 19, I was started to hurt, so I took my magic potion (muscle restoring drink). I felt like Popeye, with his can of spinach. Maybe it was psychological, but the pain subsided, and by mile 20, I was picking up speed. I'm sure it helped the the last 6 miles of the race were down hill.

I dumped my soaking, 10 pound (you think I'm kidding, but I'm not, it was really heavy) long sleeve shirt at mile 23 (little did I know, that would be the last I would ever see my beloved hot pink shirt).

Then, I got my second wind. I sped up, and felt great! I saw the 4:00 pace group right in front of me (when did they pass me--dangit!!). I thought, my goal is within my reach! I can do this. Then I really started to push it! For 2 miles, I was nearly sprinting, trying catch that pace group that would ensure my goal time. I caught tired, and slow down at mile 25.5. I kept saying to myself, come on, you can keep pushing. Less than 1 mile. One mile never took so long. But, I was able to pick it up again, and sprinting my hardest for that last 2/10 of a mile to the finish.

4 hours 2 minutes. Crap. 2 wretched minutes. If I hadn't walked through so many aid stations. If I had just kept pushing harder instead of slowing down.

It's OK. 2 minutes is nothing. Besides my Garmin watch said exactly 4:00. So there you go.

Next time, I can shave off those 2 minutes. And maybe another 20 minutes to qualify for Boston!

After the race, I had to go back to the park to look for my shirt (that wasn't there before). After not finding it, I started back to wear I parked my car in the church parking lot. I was on the phone with my Mom & Dad, tell them about my race, not really paying attention. Suddenly I really I had walked like 10 the wrong direction. I had gotten myself lost. Here I am, wandering around down town St. George, on foot, 2 hours after running a marathon. And I can't find my stupid car. I probably walked around 2-3 miles, until I found it.

I know. I'm a glutton for punishment.

It was nice weekend away. It was nice to catch up with my good friend, Kristen, from high school, who met up with me for dinner on Saturday night. And who is another amazing person, who I admire for her incredible running abilities.

Now, today, I have damage control (you know, because I left the kids home with dad all weekend, so there's a "little" mess to clean up). Then I'm getting a massage! Thanks Jess for watching the kids!

These are some of my "on the fly" pictures on the freeway on my way out of town. As if driving 90 mph wasn't dangerous enough, I thought I'd try doing it while taking pictures out my window.

I will post some of the race pics after they get up on the web.


Andrea said...

You did it!!!!!! And Four hours is awesome! I admire you. So, what's next?

rsnarr said...

Awesome time Sherrie. Next time I see you in a race I won't even try to keep up. You're too fast now.

*MARY* said...

WOW! Is there anything you CAN'T do?!

Peggy said...

Congrats on the awesome time. If I ever did a marathon it would probably take me like 12 hours. So, yeah, I still think you are a running phenom. Maybe someday I'll let you train me. Except you'd probably get too frustrated with my slowness, so nevermind. But seriously, you rock! When's the next one?

Barney Family Blog said...

You are amaxing!!! Seriously didn't you just run a marathon a few weeks ago!! You inspire me!!

Anonymous said...

It was good to see you too, glad we could meet up for a bit. Loved reading your version of the marathon, mine is about the same. I loved the title rain, pain and insane...very fitting. I may have to steal that one!
Kristen A.



way to go!!! you are amazing!

and i love those pictures!!!!

Jessica said...

Way to go!! You did it in 4 hours?! That is amaxing!! I think I can run like 3 miles in 30 minutes!! I know it's sad. Hope your massage helps you feel better!

Jan said...

Way to go Sher. Love the pictures and you deserve to know how great of an example you are. Good job.

Alisha said...

You're amazing!! If I tried to run a marathon, I'd die. Seriously! Great job! :)
By the way, I tagged you in 2 tags (on the same post). Feel free to respond to them if you have time!

Natalie said...

Way to go Sherrie. The St. George marathon is on my "To do before I die" list, so I envy you for being able to do it.

Rebecca said...'re amazing girl! I loved the play by play, I was almost hurting for you.

Marivic_Little GrumpyAngel said...

Woo Super Girl! Way to go. You are now yaye high on my admiration scale. Stay away from the stairs if you can help it, and I'm laughing with you on the bus driver safety course :-)

Joe and AnnMarie said...

Yeah!!! You did it. I noticed on your profile you like to run marathons and I was about to ask you about it until I visited your blog an sure enough...Great job. I know what you mean about the rush and wanting to run another when you get done. COngrats. You can easily cut 22 minutes off your time. There is almost an hour between my fastest and slowest marathon times. Thanks for checking my blog. I can't believe how grown your kids are. Where are you living now? Of course you can link our blogs. I love finding people I know.

Sher said...

Holy Cow, I obviously did not proof read this post before publishing it. I hope you all with accept my sincerest apologies for all the grammatical/spelling/tense errors, and for just plain out typing the wrong word!
What was going on in my head?
I'm very seriously considering re-doing this post, so I can fix all the errors.

Kristina P. said...

Sher, I found you blog through someone's, not sure who. Anyway, I thought I would help up your self-esteem and leave a comment.

I was in St George this weekend too, but I was eating cupcakes and steak, so congrats on an amazing accomplishment!

I will be back!

~The Robin's Nest~ said...

Hi Sher,
I have to tell you I hang onto every word you write when you write about your runs. I remember them like they were yesterday though it has been years since I ran. I knew how your knees felt going down the stairs and remember my husband and I (who both ran marathons together) walking down the stairs moaning together! :)
God bless you girl coming in at 4 minutes what a inspiration you are! Thanks so much for writing about it all-Running is a feeling you never forget. I felt like I was out there with you reading this post!

Mikki said...

Sher! You are amazing!! You did it in four hours. Oh my word. You must be just so totally wiped out today. I hope you were able to get some rest, not just take care of the house-it'll be there tomorrow-- or the next day.
Wow!! just Wow!!

Jen K said...

Congrats, that is an AMAZING time! Great job.

Love Fam said...

That really is amazing! I will think about putting that on my list of things to do before I die with Nat. Anyway you are awesome, oh and I did still that song from your blog, I just love it!!

wonder woman said...

HIGH FIVE is right!! Way to go! Just have to tell you - I had a dream about you last night. I don't remember a single detail, but I woke up thinking, "Sher and Motherboard were in my dream."

Good luck with the cleaning and avoiding the stairs and the MASSAGE!

Rane said...

You ROCKED IT!!! you're totally hard core!! thanks for letting us crash with you.

I'm still laughing about the psycho bus driver...espeically after the safety info he about rolls the bus. hahahaha

daisy said...

Great job Sher! I only dream of running a marathon in 4 hours. St.George is so on my list of Marathons I want to run. Thanks for your inspiration. You are awesome!

The Forney Four said...

Look at all the people you're inspriring!

Gosh this makes me miss home...