Sunday, February 17, 2008

Sunday Rantings

I had one of those rare Sundays today, that I actually was able to, not only listen, but hear the talks/lessons at church. We forgot the "church bag" full of coloring books and toys to entertain the kids, and they were surprisingly good, and quiet during sacrament meeting. I'm wondering if there is something to just making them sit there and listen. Hmmm.
Anyway, first of all, I'm so grateful to all of the beautiful, talented people who put up with me for choir, and for singing so beautiful today. By the way, I don't think it was a coincidence that our song choice went perfectly with the speakers' topics. We sang "Did you think to pray?" An arrangement by Mack Wilberg (who, by the way, I LOVE). The High councilman spoke about receiving answers to prayers, and how not everyone just gets an immediate answer to their prayers while still on their knees. I am one of these people. Sometimes I do feel like my prayers bounce off the ceiling---something I have always felt I need to work on, but don't quite know where to go from here. I've often wondered, "What is wrong with me?" Are my wires shorted out? Is there a bad connection, somewhere? But he talked about finding something in our lives, whether it be on your knees, or reading the scriptures, or whatever, where we can commune with Heavenly Father. It makes me feel better that I'm not the only person who doesn't always receive immediate inspiration to every prayer. I would love to just have complete open lines of communication with the Father at all times, but I'm sure I let "life" get in the way a lot of the time. I need to remember to include Him in everything in my "life."
So, I sluffed Relief Society today, and went to Young Women. (No, this isn't my calling, but I was asked to play the piano for them, so I decided to stay).
Sis. Pratt gave, what I felt to be, such an inspiring lesson. Even though it's been a million years since I was a young women it really hit home for me. She talked about gossip and adding drama to our communication with other people. I am a terrible gossip. Clint is always getting after me about it. And although my intentions are never malicious, I'd hate to think that what I said about someone else could hurt them. The biggest thing that hit me was talking about the need that every woman has to talk things out, and that's OK, but we shouldn't take what a friend or sister or daughter confides in us, and spread it around. And then the comment was made that if there is no one else to confide in, then we always know that we are safe confiding in Heavenly Father. He knows our hearts, and our frustrations, and He will understand what we are going through. So, everything tied together for me today. It was a very thought provoking day for me!

1 comment:

Elisa said...

Thanks for playing in YW... I also was so relieved to hear that I wasn't alone with regards to my prayers. It has always boggled me when I hear people talk about getting immediate answers to prayer (and I get quite jealous) --- cause very rarely that happens. I know my prayers are answered-- just never immediate. It really gave me pause, and it was nice to know that I am not alone. I also LOVED that lesson... it seemed like it was just for me. I often times get caught up in drama, and Jefe is ALWAYS telling me to chill.
I LOVED when she said we start behaving (gossip/drama)that way when we stop feeling "special", and that we should pray to know that we are special. Sometimes, (well, honestly, a lot lately) its easy for me to get caught up in the comparison game of "i'm not good enough-- blah blah blah--" and I loved the idea to pray and ask the Lord to tell us we are special.
Whew.
do you think I wrote a long enough comment??
Thanks Sherrie. You're the best!