Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Rain, Rain, Go away....


I was ALL motivated today. I had it all planned out to go out and work in my yard today. Yesterday, I went to Tri-city nursery and bought a bunch of shrubs and flowers. I got most of them planted yesterday, but had to quit to do piano lessons.
Then, I had to go practice with my brother, Spencer.


This picture isn't great because it's off of Spencer's cell phone. I wish i had a better one.

Can I just tell you....he is a musical genius! GENIUS! The fact that an 18 year old boy has that much talent blows my mind! He's entering this composer's competition for high school students and he asked me to accompany him. He plays the bass...and he's probably the best bass player his age in the state. I'm not even exaggerating (how do you spell that?). He plays in the Davis Youth Symphony, the Utah Youth Symphony, the Orchestra at Temple Square (not to mention the Northridge orchestra). Busy, busy boy. So, he auditioned for a music scholarship at BYU, and of course they loved him and he was accepted into the school of music, except that his ACT scores weren't high enough (although still higher than mine were) to get accepted to BYU. So, they wanted him so bad they "worked it out", so now he's going to go to BYU in the fall.
Can you tell I'm proud?
Anyway, so I went over last night to "sight read" this song he wrote. His competition is tonight. Talk about cramming. Usually both of us can handle sight reading something at the last minute and pull it off (it's called the art of "faking it")
But, Spencer wrote this amazing, but incredibly difficult piece. Neither of us can really play if perfectly. Oh, we probably could, if we had practice it more than one day, but holy cow! One of these days, we'll practice it really good and record it, then I'll post it so you can hear.
Ok, that was a little tangent off the subject.
Anyway, needless to say, I didn't get all of my flowers planted yesterday. So, I was planning on coming out today to finish up. I got all motivated yesterday. So, this morning, I went to this little rock quarry store over by the DMV and bought some rocks to use as pavers to make a little path in my garden, and went Home Depot to look around. By the time we got home, it was pouring rain.
I'm so bummed. Now that it's stopped everything is soaked, so I still can't go out. Talk about a wasted day. Now, I'll just have to clean the house, instead. That's way more boring than working outside in the yard.

So, if I haven't complained enough today, I got home last night, turned on the TV to watch AI, and my receiver had frozen up, so it didn't record! AAAHHHHHH!!!

So, didn't watch it last night.

3 comments:

Elisa said...

You've been busy! Good grief! Everything you've been doing makes me tired! Thats why you're uber skinny and me? not so much!

Good luck on your performance with your brother! I am sure that he takes after you with his musical prowess!

American Idol... holy cannoli batman! David A. totally rocked last night. Jason Castro was an even bigger dork than usual, and Randy made Syesha cry. dirt bag. I like her. I would love to see her go Broadway. She has some pipes!
And David C. did one of my favorite who songs!
Thats it in a nutshell! :>)

Barney Family Blog said...

Wow sher I can't wait to see your yard when I come out. Maybe it will motivate me to do some work in mine. I found a mole in my yard yesterday, ya a mole. The darn things keep digging holes in my yard. I need to figure out how to get rid of them. Anyway Spencer is awesome, as are you!, you do need to record some things and post it.

Sher said...

I finally got Josh's recording stuff, but haven't had ANY time to do anything with it, yet. I'm wondering if it would be more time efficient to pay a professional studio by the hour and just get it done!
Kris, you should take a pic or your mole and post it on your blog!