Friday, March 13, 2009

Aloha! Random Friday---Hawaiian style! (now with pictures)




We found this little guy hanging on to the back of the car. He stuck around with us while we drove around the island for about 2 hours.

*updated 3/16---I added some pictures....more later...*

Aloha everybody!

I'm waiting for my hubby to get out of meetings. I have 20 minutes, so I thought I'd drop a line and say Hello!
I can't believe it's Friday already. (It is Friday, right? I've kind of lost track of my days here)

I'm also all whacked out because of the time change. It's a 4 hour difference from here to Utah. So, while it's only 11:40 right now, it's about 3:40 at home. I'm sure it'll finally sink in and I'll get used to it by the time I get home.

Here are a few highlights of my trip so far:



  • Arrived, Sunday afternoon, at the Kona airport to this:


    Yep. Rain. But, don't worry, it cleared up, and has been just beautiful the rest of the week.

  • I saw a rainbow. Hawaii is famous for their rainbows. When we were on Maui a few years ago, I saw a triple rainbow. This one was just a single one. Yet, not disappointing.



  • Got lost on the way to the hotel, because C's GPS apparently doesn't know it's way around Hawaii.

  • Saw A LOT of lava rock. Tripped and cut my toe, while trying to climb around on the lava rocks in my flip-flops.




  • Saw a really cool giant old tree, and tried to climb it in my flip-flops.



  • I now know that this is called a Kohala tree



  • Drove around the island (this is the big island of Hawaii, by the way). It took us a total of about 7 hours, including stops.


  • Saw the volcano, which has been continuously erupting for about 20 years. Didn't see any lava, though. But, discovered there is such a thing as "vog." It's like fog/smog/volcanic smoke. And it stinks, like something burning. Probably lava.


Steam vents from the volcano



      Vog



      Hiking through the rainforest. Sorry, it's blurry.Lava Cave

      Went to the beach, tried to snorkel, but the rental place was out of snorkel gear. So, swam around instead. Saw some giant turtles from a distance but didn't get any pictures.

  • This is the ONLY swimsuit shot you will see of me. Sorry.

    Have eaten so much, that I have grown out of all the clothes I've brought, and had to go buy myself a Hawaiian mu mu to wear everyday. Either that, or I've suddenly become 5 months pregnant over night. I'm pretty sure, it's the former. Unfortunately, do not have a picture of the mu mu.

    • Learned how to make sushi.


    • Thought the sushi roll looks like a giant stogie, and decided to try and smoke it.



    • Have been on the lookout for a Hawaiian flask. (I still need to elaborate on that story)
    • Took lots and lots of pictures of the gorgeous views from our Hotel.



      More pictures to come......

    25 comments:

    Lara Neves said...

    And that is the reason muumuus were invented.

    Sounds like you're having a lovely time and I'm only just a teensy bit jealous. I will just have to console myself with the fact that my husband made luau food yesterday and I have lots of leftovers, so I'll need to be getting my own muumuu out soon!

    Lisa said...

    Sounds like an awesome trip! I used to live there so I know and appreciate the beauty of the Islands. Must get back!

    Annette Lyon said...

    Don't climb lava rock in flip-flops. Check.

    Sounds like you're having a great trip!

    Shauna said...

    Aloha! Can't wait to see pictures soon! Love Ya Lots! ♥ Hugs :)

    chelle said...

    Sounds like so much fun. I can't wait to see your photos.

    Thanks for the info on vog. I never knew that. Now I can tell my hubcap that blogging is informational. m

    Just SO said...

    Sounds like a fabulous vacation.

    Da Bergs said...

    I am so jealous!!! Hawaii is my favorite place on earth!!! I cant wait to see all the pictures... and pretend I am there! LOL

    Omgirl said...

    I am so seriously jealous!!!

    wendy said...

    A Hawaiian Flask and giant stogie ------sounds like your having a great time. I wish mu mu's would come into style. It would be sooooo convenient.
    remember stranger danger while you are there.

    susette said...

    LUCKY GIRL!! Sounds like a lot of fun adventures you are having. I like the mu-mu idea, sort of like when in Rome...so why not When in Hawaii. . .do as the Hawaiians do?

    veronica said...

    Sounds like you are having a fabulous time! Can't wait to see the pictures!

    AS Amber said...

    When are you coming home?? Or are you not tellin' just in case your stalker is out there? Freakin' toe-cutting lava...Hawaiians don't wear real shoes so why should we?

    mCat said...

    I am so jillious of you and Hawaii. CANNOT wait for pictures!!
    Be safe coming home!

    Anonymous said...

    oh my goodness... i am so jealous right now! i swear i can smell the ocean and the food and the tanning oil...............


    aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh.. it smells good!

    The Motherboard said...

    Happy Birthday! I hope its swell and full of lots of yummy things to eat! (cause we all know that's the most important thing about a birthday!)

    Shauna said...

    HAPPY BIRTHDAY :) I have a little B-day surprise for you on my blog too! ♥ Hugs :)

    Lori said...

    Happy Birthday!! ♥

    Da Bergs said...

    Happy Birthday!

    I love the palm trees and the blue water... oh man... can you say, JEALOUS??!!!

    Cute Family said...

    How fun! I hope you weren't too sick on your trip!

    Jo said...

    It is so very, very pretty. And I am very, very jealous. You look so happy and relaxed. Go you!

    Nick and Stacey said...

    SO fun! Sounds and looks like you had a great time!

    susette said...

    Will you be a dear sweetie and help me win a trip back East? go to www.becausemomsaidso.blogspot.com and vote for Susette at All Good Things Come...

    Anonymous said...

    Sounds like such a great time! I look forward to hearing and seeing more!

    Spence said...

    That is soo cool. YOu should have brought the lizard home with you.

    Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

    OH MY GOSH...how fun and I"M SO JEALOUS!!!

    You guys are such an amazingly handsome couple!!! You definitely look good together! :)