Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Birthday Blues?

As many of you may know, I just had a birthday on Monday.

It was sooooo exciting. I did so many awesome things! I went to the gym, did some laundry, went to the grocery store, listened to my kids whine, yelled at my kids for whining, did some laundry, renewed my drivers license, did some laundry.

Good times....good times. By the way, just for laughs, this video completely goes with my birthday this year. He totally speaks to me around 1:30, and about 4 minutes in, but if you have time listen to the whole thing. Gotta LOVE Jim Gaffigan.




Do any of you ever get the Birthday blues? I don't know why I get it, but I do. This year, I'm sure it's a combination of the fact that I didn't get laid lei'd in Hawaii, and the just-got-back-from-vacation stress, and having eaten so much that I gained weight and felt like crap, and having to retrain the kids who were spoiled rotten all week. Or the fact that now I'm 31. I'm not "just" 30 anymore. Now I'm "in my thirties." It makes me feel really old.
But, as a Mom, there's also that expectation to not expect it to be anything special. I don't know how else to put it. I think for Mom's birthdays are just another day in the life.

I have to thank my husband for making it special for me.

Actually, the evening was great. C came home with dinner. He brought home Chili's take out which was awesome, and brought me a slice of Paradise Pie, which is my favorite! Then my parent's came over with an Angel Food cake for me, which is my other favorite.
I had told C not to get me any presents, and I would buy myself something in Hawaii, which I didn't really, if you don't count all the food (which I didn't really pay for) and the mu mu, which was entirely necessary at the end of the trip, since I was bulging out of my clothes.

But, he came home from work bearing gifts. C is a really, really great gift giver. And he's really good at surprises. He's good at keeping a secret. I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing, but I'm always surprised.

So, he got me new luggage, because I guess my old suitcase with the broken frame,and the bent wheels, that scream when you roll them was a little embarrassing. So, he went and got me a whole new set of luggage. Inside was a gift certificate for an 80-minute-couples-massage from our favorite spa. And a flask. Because apparently I just look like a drunk on the go.

I guess I should tell the story behind the flask. Actually it's not really a story, as much as a silly idea I had one night. We were going out to dinner with some of our friends. I ordered a cherry Coke. I was told by the server that they didn't have cherry, or grenadine. This happens all too often. How does a place that has a bar, that serves mixed drinks NOT have grenadine? So, I had this fabulous idea that I could get a flask, and put grenadine syrup in it, and keep it in my purse. That way, no matter where I go, I'll have some to put into my Coke.
Brilliant, right?!! I thought so.
So, C got me a flask. I also thought it would be really funny to pull it out during Sunday School, just to see people's reactions, but C didn't think that was such a good idea.

There's my run of the mill 31st birthday story.

21 comments:

Shauna said...

I hear you Woman! Here is a late B-day hug! I still want to take you to lunch for your B-day! Let me know when is good for you! ♥ Hugs :)

Just SO said...

Welcome to the Thirty's...they really aren't so bad. I get the birthday blues pretty much every year and my husband isn't nearly as thoughtful as yours.

And I love your flask idea. I say take the flask to your next enrichment night and pull it out during dinner. That would be a riot!

Shelle-BlokThoughts said...

aaahhh! That is funny! I would love to be there, in on the joke, seeing people's reactions as you take that flask out!!! ;)

Peggy said...

I'm turning 32 this year. Does that help you feel younger?

Lisa said...

I don't like birthday's anymore. It just means another year older. Ugh! If I could crawl under the covers and stay there for the whole day, I think I would.

I love the idea about pulling the flask out in Sunday School. I'm all about shocking people. (That's a learned trait from my husband).

Andrea said...

I was always excited to be 'in my 30's'... People seem to take you more seriously when you are in your 30's. For some reason, when you are only in your 20's, you don't have enough life experience. However, now that I'm there I think I just want to stay because 40 seems kind of old? And I would LOVE to see you pull your flask out during Sunday school. Right in front of the teacher (and not the my neighbor teacher, the other one... That would be funny!)

Sarah said...

I will hit mid thirties this summer, I don't want to hear about it. No matter how old you are I will always be older! I would laugh my head off if you really did take the flask to church, that would be hilarious.

mCat said...

No lay, I mean, lei in Hawaii?!?!
WTC?!

And I can't believe this! I used to actually carry around a small flask of vanilla for the VERY SAME REASON! I needed it for my diet coke!

Are you my twin? Wait, your prettier, can't be......

Sher said...

Melissa--
You are beautiful! Don't sell yourself short. And I think the one thing that we don't have in common is that fact that you are crazy faster than me.
I want to run with you so I can be that fast!!

Jessica said...

I love the flask idea and I know what you mean about birthdays. They aren't nearly as exciting as they used to be.

Nanette said...

I just found your blog on the Mormom Mommy Blogs and I LOVE it! Yay for Jim G! Whenever I am feeling especially blue I like to watch Beyond the Pale-the DVD is fantastic!
I have always hated my birthday so last year I threw myself a good old fashioned party with ballons, a cake from Costco and a rousing game of Pin-the-Tail-on-the-Donkey.
It was probably the first time I ever enjoyed a birthday.
I'm gonna get me a flask...

Natalie said...

I feel your birthday pain. This year was extra emotional for me as well. It looks like you had fun in Hawaii though.

Barney Family Blog said...

Love the flask present that tops it all. how funny! I think when I am in town we'll have to go out to eat somewhere so I can see you pull it out. I am glad your hubby treated so well on your b-day.

Alyson | New England Living said...

Sorry, I don't get the birthday blues at all and I'm two years older than you! I love my birthday! It was especially awesome this year since it landed on a Saturday which means the hubby was home to deal with kids while I went shopping. Yippee!

I love Jim Gaffigan! Did you see him on Flight of the Conchords? Hilarious!

Kate said...

Birthdays can be hard, some more than others. It sounds like you were thought of and spoiled. Keep smiling. I love your blog.

Elisa said...

I triple dog dare you to bust that out during Sunday School...

TRIPLE DOG DARE!

(notice that I skipped all the others? if you don't take this dare, you're a chicken. Or so I hear...)

I can't even remember what its like to be 31... that was like 700 years ago for me. Just sayin'.

Mikki said...

I totally feel ya' on the whole, mommy's don't really have birthdays thing.
Hey, I totally want to take you out to lunch too. SO you know, the next time you're in Vegas.......

Looks like you had a fabulous time in Hawaii. SO jealous. But I'm glad you got to get away.

Lisa Loo said...

I follow you because I love your musical gift but now I know it has been because your a drunk to go kinda gal! Who knew??!! Happy late birthday--30 was my WORST ever--jump off a cliff birthday--I think I thought by 30 I would be a grown up or something---every year since then has been no big deal.

Erin said...

Happy belated birthday! I love the flask story. And hey, I'm 32, so I guess you'll always be younger than me :(

Now my wv is "revenit", which in french kind of means "come back." Yes, I do want to come back to France, and you want to come back to Hawaii. How ironic!

Ashley said...

Happy birthday!!! I hope you had a really awesome day! And I love Jim Gaffigan too, he is hilarious!

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday Sher! I've been out of the blogging realm, but wanted to stop by and tell you happy birthday! I agree, a lot of birthdays are just another day when we're older and moms. But I'm so glad "C" made it extra special and thoughtful! High five to C