Thursday, November 20, 2008

Alright, alright...I give in!

I was chastised by many for not having shared my Wassail recipe, in a previous post, while bragging about it. I've made it my personal creed NOT to do anything remotely crafty or domestic on my blog, because that might possibly mislead you into thinking that I actually Do things that are domestic. (Sorry, to get your hopes up Robin!)
Well, back in the day, I used to fancy myself something of a culinary genius. I think we've all been there. Fresh from the alter, anxious to please my new husband with all my domestic brilliance. I made up recipes and cooked them for my husband and family. I even made a recipe book a few years ago, and gave it out to my family for Christmas. I've been told by some of my sister-in-laws that it's the only recipe book they use!
Now, before you pass out from shock, please understand that this was the younger, more ambitious and more energetic Sherrie.



There is something about having 3 children in 3 1/2 years, that can wipe the fun right out of you. Now, I'm lucky to have a meal cooked every night. And yes, cheese tacos, mac 'n' cheese, and frozen pizzas are regular menu items now days.
So, since I've been lacking in the holiday spirit, and the domestic department lately, I thought I'd unburden myself by sharing my Wassail recipe with you.

I started making Wassail for Thanksgiving when I was 10 years old. (So when I said 20 years ago, I wasn't exaggerating!) My 5th grade teacher, Mrs. Sevy, had the class all help make it one year. I was so excited to come home and share it with my family. That year, we (Mom and I) made Mrs. Sevy's recipe for Wassail. Over the years, I've altered the recipe slightly, adding an ingredient here and there, taking out things I didn't think worked. I've had some years when I tried new ingredients and it turned out simply awful. But the last few years, I think I've got it mastered! I have NEVER missed a year of making Wassail since that year in 1988. Now, I'm passing on the delicious blessing to you.
Are you sick of my talking yet? Are you thinking, well get on with it then, where's the recipe?
Now, I'm having second thoughts. What if I've hyped it a little TOO much, and now you'll be expecting some magic potion of youth and vitality, and you'll be disappointed when it turns out to be just plain old Wassail, delicious as it may be.
Maybe I won't share.........





Ok, I will. Here it is:
Best Ever Holiday Wassail
1 gallon apple cider (not juice, cider has more zip. Yes, that's important)
4 oranges (these are for juice, you could use frozen juice, but it's not the same)
2 lemons
ground nutmeg (I don't know how much--just shake the bottle, probably 4-5 shakes)
or about 1 tsp, if you are a measure freak.
ground cinnamon (same rule applies, only use a lot more, probably 10 shakes)
or 1 TB-ish
ginger (4-5 shakes, or 1 tsp)
1 bottle of stick cinnamon (just dump it in--about 10-15 sticks)
16-20 whole cloves (you can use ground cloves (1 tsp), but it's not as pretty)

Pour cider into large pot or crockpot, set on Low heat. Slice oranges and lemons in half. From each orange, cut a slice and set aside. Juice oranges and lemons with juicer (or just squeeze 'em if you're really strong), and pour juice into cider. Add spices. Stir. Stick cloves in sections of orange slices. Put slices in cider to float as garnish(now it's tasty and pretty. Simmer 1 hour. Serve Hot (duh.)
There you have it! Now you know I don't measure when I cook. I just dump stuff in and hope it tastes good. But if you're a OCD control freak, and HAVE to measure stuff, you can. I'm pretty sure it won't taste as good, though, if you measure it. I'm not sure why. I think a little dash a rebellion is my secret ingredient.

So, go try it, and then, tell me how much you LOVE it!!!

21 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I love wassil and this sounds like a super yummy recipe!

And I am going all Pioneer Woman tomorrow, so be sure to check out that post. I make something a lot weirder.

tammy said...

You are awesome to share this! You are domestic in my book, just for this recipe alone.

Andrea said...

It is a sign of a good cook not to measure...or so I have been told. I never put it all together the three children in three and a half years. Don't know why, because they are all right there in Primary, but you are right, you are awesome, and more power to you!

Da Bergs said...

oh, girlfriend, your awesome! THANKS! NOW... that cookbook you made... and that your SIL use ONLY... we want some of those great recipes too!!!

chelle said...

I am sorry to say I don't even know what wassail is. Pathetic aren't I? What a wonderful recipe! I will try it soon. Thanks for not judging me on my lack of wassail knowledge. m

Devri said...

Don't laugh, but I have never had wassle.

This year I will try it I promise.

MERRIANNE said...

sher! this looks really tastey! and YOU ARE crafty... and YOU ARE in the Christmas spirit... don't fight it!!!! ♥

Janice said...

We have a family recipe (from my grandmother) for wassail that we make annually. Your's looks super good.

Peggy said...

Thanks for changing the playlist just for my benefit! I actually looked him up on ITunes after I read your last post. Beautiful!

And thanks for the recipe! I will definitely be making that.

Peggy said...

Oh, and I want a copy of that recipe book your gave your family too.

Jen said...

I LOVE Wassail and make it every Halloween and Thanksgiving. I'll have to try yours out! Sounds nummy! Have a great weekend!

Jules AF said...

I don't know you, but come to the meet and greet! It should be a lot of fun!

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm new.

Thanks for sharing your recipe. A lot of people won't share. SIlly.

So far I haven't had a wassail recipe that I've liked much. I'm not a huge warm drink fan. I prefer Ice cold. Unless it's chocolate. Sometimes I like herbal teas, but I have to add so much sugar, I might as well drink the cocoa.

Shauna said...

Awesome thank you! I just signed up to follow your blog too! Hey watch my blog for awards with lots of l♥ve coming soon for you! :) ♥ Hugs!

Cynthia said...

Oooohhhh! I want to try this. I'm glad you posted the recipe. Maybe I'll make it the day after Thanksgiving to drink while we put up the Christmas tree?

Little GrumpyAngel said...

Thanks for sharing! I'll definitely try it and let you know.

I get the giving up on the domestic diva gig, Sher. I tried when I was a stay at home mom, but there's the ideal world, and then there's reality, my reality :-)

I also came over to let you know I will be on blog-cation and will not be able to visit and comment for awhile. I will miss your posts but I will be back. Have a great Thanksgiving holiday!

Jan said...

I have never ever had that before. I think you have made it look so good and easy. Thanks for Shering.

Robin Beck said...

Slowly but surely she is coming over to "our" side and she doesn't even know it... Wassail and George Winston music are HUGE steps to the domestic side!
I love to kid with you, but Sher I raised 5 (yes) FIVE kids and had a foster child for two years... I wasn't seriously crafty or domestic either! (I didn't have the time OR the energy) It wasn't till later when the kids got older that the craft bug hit me. I think you are doing wonderful for having 3 kids in 3 1/2 years. WOW!
Thanks for your wonderful Wassail recipe.
Robin~♥

tiki_lady said...

i don't believe I have ever tried wassail!

Redhoodoos said...

Hey - I'm making this right now as we speak!! Looks and smells great!

Krazy Kat said...

You are funny! You and mom are alike in your measuring skills. I on the other hand am an OCD control freak and have to measure things. I love your wassil and I am looking forward to trying it when you make it for us!