Monday, November 10, 2008

Thankful #11

I am really struggling with this. Last week I could already see the positive effect that finding things to be thankful for would have on me. But, when I feel down in the dumps it is just soooo hard to look on the bright side. Why is that? I've been wondering if I need to start taking my happy pills again. I haven't taken them for about 3 months. Also, I still havent' been running as much as I would like. Turns out, it's harder that I thought to get back into it after taking a break. Especially getting up early in the morning. But I need to do it.

So, today, I was again feeling dumpy, so I called my sister, in OK. She is an amaxing person. She has 3 beautiful, wonderful children. Lives far away from all of her family and friends, because he husband is in the military and was stationed there. She is also pregnant with twins, and her house just flooded a couple weeks ago....while her husband was out of town. And she is also so upbeat and positive.
But, I call her and whine and complain to her, even though I feel like a loser doing it. And she listens. And even though she is my baby sister, and I should be the wise one in the relationship, she also has the best advice to give me.
Today, she told me in essence that I need to swallow my pride, and get down on my knees and pray for help. Because nobody can go through this hard life alone. Nobody. We need the Lord in all things.
She is such a wise and admiral person.
She told me a great way to remind yourself to say prayers everyday. Just make it a goal that every time you make your bed, say your prayers. So, if you forget to make your bed, the unmade bed will be there to remind you that you still need to say your prayers.
I like that. I make my bed everyday first thing when I get up. I need to start saying my personal prayers when I do that, too.

So, today I'm thankful for two things. I'm grateful for my wonderful sisters. I have 2 sisters, and 6 awesome sisters-in-law, who I dearly love, and appreciate.

Also, I'm grateful for prayer. For a loving Heavenly Father who is just waiting to hear from us, who wants to talk to us, and help us, if we just humble ourselves and come to Him in prayer.

14 comments:

Andrea said...

I am grateful for good sisters too! I call my older sis all the time to vent.

kitchenditcher said...

I am the oldest of three girls but I call my sistahs all the time. I NEED them!

And life is truly hard. What would we ever do without the knowledge that we have a Father in Heaven who is there for us. I don't know how other people do it.

Kristina P. said...

Sher, I'm sorry to hear you've been having a hard time.

I think if you need to go back on your meds, that's OK! I think that faith and prayer are huge helps, but sometimes, we need additional help. You aren't a failure if you have to start taking medication.

I was actually talking about this very issue at Book Club on Friday. I don't know all of your history, but taking medication isn't always a bad thing, and sometimes, I think that we are often advised to just pray harder, and these problems will just go away, when it's not just the case.

OK, I'll stop now. Sorry to be a downer.

Jan said...

Sisters are the very bestest in the westest and the northest and the eastest and the southest. Thanks for sharing you diddy about prayer. It's the truth. I need to be more mindful in the mornings. I just get up and do things. I appreciate the thoughts of your sister.

tammy said...

Love this post. Where would we be without prayer and our sisters?

tiki_lady said...

good post and an even better sister!

Robin Beck said...

"Out of the mouth of babes" (baby sister in your case)
Prayer is a gift-One many people rarely open. Sad being the contents inside are life changing (in Jesus name)~♥
God Bless You Real Good Sher.

Nick said...

I too have always looked up to Kris, she is awesome! I also always love to read your blog, because allthough you may think that you aren't doing very much, you are doing great things, running, creating beautiful music!

Wonder Woman said...

thanks for the reminder. My kids are usually the ones to wake me up, so I'm up and going before I have a minute to get on my knees.

I'm just making excuses.

I'm glad that you have people to talk to. And we all take turns lifted and being lifted. So no worries. You'll get your turn to help her out, I'm sure. =D Happy pills are okay, too.

Sherri said...

Just had to say "hi." I'm not even sure how I found your blog, maybe Facebook? I definitely know what it's like to wake up and feel that way(like today). You know my sister, Amy(Knowles), she's the one I always have to compare myself to(and she's younger, too). But somehow we're all important in this world, learning stuff. And sometimes some of us need a little help(me included). Btw, about your lump you blogged about, I've had one since young adult years. I had an ultrasound a couple months ago and it checked out ok; it just sticks out and is a little painful sometimes. Wouldn't hurt to get it checked.

Mikki said...

sher, I hope you're feeling better soon. I'm so glad you have your sister to call on, that's awesome. SHe sounds very smart too. My FHE lesson tonight was on prayer--great minds think alike!! My days usually do seem to go better when I remember to pray in the mornings. I love that idea of praying when making the bed. Maybe that way, I'll actually get both of them done!

Little GrumpyAngel said...

Your sister sounds like an amazing person. You arelucky to have someone wise and good to turn to. I ahve 2 younger sisters and they are so much stronger in their testimonies than I am. They are good examples to me. Sisters are wonderful, aren't they?

I hope you find a way to take care of yourself and get through the hard times.

Queen Elizabeth said...

HANG IN THERE - Please please please remember - YOU ARE NOT ALONE! (I'll probably be posting this same thing come February... seriously... although I don't even try to break off the meds... part of my life)

Barney Family Blog said...

Thanks for all those nice thoughts. I think you are amaxing;) and I look up to you too. You have so much courage to do so many difficult things like run marathons, put your music out there and record it,etc., etc., etc.!! You need to know how awesome you are too!!