Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Thankful #12




Today is starting out much better than the last few days. I said my morning prayers for the 2nd day in a row today. And I decided to start having a little family prayer with the kids before they leave for school. I'm hoping it helps set the tone for their day as well as it does for mine.

Anyway, today has been good, so far. I had a really great workout, and I've been eating a lot better. I'm sure that the amount of sugar I consume in one day is contributing to my blues.

I came home from the gym, got the mail, and noticed in the ads that both Smith's and Albertson's are having 10 for $10 sales. So, we packed up the monkeys and headed to the store.

I only made it to Smith's today, but I stocked up on a lot of good food for our food storage. I can't believe how much food I got for so little. I got home with 2 full carts full of food for about $140. Now, I'm probably not as good at bargain shopping as some of you with your coupons and all, but I'm pretty proud of myself.

My cold storage room in the basement is now full of food, and I'm excited to have more than just a few cases of canned green beans, and dry-pack oats for my food storage.
I'll probably be going to Albertson's tomorrow to see what I can get.

Today, I'm thankful for bargains! and for being able to add to my food storage.

So, if you have a Smith's or a Kroger, or an Albertson's in your area, go check out the deals!!!


I just had to post this picture of Grocery Outlet, because I worked there for a couple of years in high school. I remember always trying to explain to people that no, we didn't sell expired food! I don't think there are any Grocery Outlets left in Utah, so this photo brought back some memories....

14 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I used to be an avid 10 for $10 shopper. That was before I stopped shopping and made my husband do it.

Peggy said...

Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely be stocking my pantry tomorrow.

Also, we started doing family prayers in the mornings last year (I'm sorry to say that we've fallen out of the habit. Gotta get that going again) and I found that it really helped with everybody's attitudes. Especially mine. I hope it works for you too.

Jen said...

High 5 Sher! That's great. Reading your blog will help inspire me to be better about prayer AND eating right (as I'm munching on a crispy bean burrito! Lol!) Thanks for the tips. Hey, there's a good book out called "Sugar Blues". You might like it. I'm glad we're friends ;0)

tammy said...

I'm so glad to hear today's a better day. I love a bargain and have been really trying to stock up on food storage when I find things on sale. It does make you feel a little more secure.

Way to go on the morning prayers. I've noticed our life is better when we make time for family prayer in the morning, and scripture reading in the evening. Even if we're saying a prayer in the car as we're backing down the driveway, trying not to be late.

Thanks for your comments about my bro-in-law. It helps to hear others have gone through the same thing.

Jan said...

SUPER PROUD OF YOU ON SO MANY LEVELS TODAY..... KEEP IT UP GIRL.

tiki_lady said...

Love it! I have a comment over at mechelles.

tiki_lady said...

ah, forget it I'll leave it here!
Love your gratitude lists! I'm starting a gratitude journal on Marriage. I make one for dh and dh makes one for me. At the end of each night we right something in it and leave it on the dresser in the morning. I look forward to it and it's because of your gratitude posts.

chelle said...

I love the gratitude idea. Great post. M

Mikki said...

Way to go on the grocery shopping. I need to go stock up. I'll be checking my ads. Thanks for the heads up!! I'm glad today was a bit better. Onward and Upward!
(can you believe after I emailed you back, i STILL forgot to pray?)

Elisa said...

You worked there? You probably checked me out-- the one time I went there 2000 years ago! (Yes. We BOTH hold our age well!)

I didn't know Albertson's was doing a 10/10-- sweet. I need to get up there and buy some food. My family thanks you!

It was great to talk to you tonight. I am grateful you are my friend--in real life-- not to be all sappy on ya! :oP

word ver: Cannic. Humm. Can nic what? play? drive? cook? What??

Love Fam said...

I too love your gratitude lists! I need to start that, oh and morning prayers!(we definetly need to start doing that!) If I made my bed everymorning that would be a great reminder...ha, maybe that is inspiration to try and do both!!

Andrea said...

Did you notice that at Albertson's they have a Buy one Sara Lee pie you get another Sara Lee pie and two Breyer Ice creams for free! What a deal? Pie AND ice cream!

Jessica said...

Sounds like you had a good day! I'm glad you could go to the gym without my little one screaming at you! :) I need to get some tips from you on how to manage little monkeys in the store. I'm failing in that area right now for sure!

Camille said...

I always love the music that is playing on your blog. And hearing about those stores and sales sure makes me miss Utah today. hmmmm.