Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Running




Yesterday, after voting, I went to the gym to run on the treadmill. I ran 3 1/2 miles.

And it felt pretty darn good.


Since the St. George marathon, I have not run AT ALL. I know. I took the first week off to recover, then my hubby went out of town, then I was being lazy and not getting out of bed in the morning, and excuses....excuses.....
Needless to say, I lost the drive.


So, long story short, I was feeling like CRAP! I was tired ALL the time, achey, sick, getting headaches, cramping, and for some reason every single pair of my jeans had shrunk. And my scale went all skiwampus and told me I had gained 10 pounds, which can't be for real! And not to mention the emotional effect. I was a total basket case! My poor family. Words cannot describe the insanity that my body went through. So, I thought, well, it can't be that I've been totally lazy and worthless for a month, there must be something wrong with me.


So, I took a pregnancy test......









I thought I'd scroll down for effect, just to get a reaction. Did you think I was pregnant? Did you? Well, the pregnancy test was negative. As I knew it would be. Sorry to disappoint.


The only thing I'm pregnant with is a huge amount of food and no exercise.


So, if I'm not pregnant, then the only common denominator of all this craziness is me NOT running.
I had no idea running did so much good for me, until I stopped. So I made some plans.


First, I'm going to get together a little fun run Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning. I haven't decided a route yet. Last year, we ran from Fruit Height up to the Bountiful Temple. It was fun, and that hill is the MOTHER of all hills.


So, if you're in No. UT, and are around on Thanksgiving morning, come join us! I'll post more details later.


Also, I decided to run the Painter's half marathon again. I did it last year. It was my first half, and the hedgeway into my passion of running.


So, I decided I better get back into it. Saturday, I met up with some of my running buddies. I was planning on just going 6 miles, because after not running for a month, I thought I better start slow. I ended up doing 11 miles. And it was hard, and I walked alot.
I wish I could say I felt great afterward, but I didn't. I was exhausted.
But I'm glad I went, and got started up again.


So, today, I'm thankful that I can run, and for all the postive effects it has on my life.

16 comments:

Natalie said...

I want to do the turkey run with you as long as we are no where near the bountiful temple, I'm crazy but not insane! My knee is still hurting around mile 6 but maybe if I rub it out really good for a few days before the run I could do 9 or so. You can pick me up after you run your million miles. I envy you. By the way I would love to do the 1/2 in January with you too.

Dads(2) said...

Like your blog . . .

Wonder Woman said...

You've been talking for a while about feeling mildly (and not-so-mildly) depressed.......glad you rediscovered your happy pill! May you lose that 10 lbs. by the Turkey Trot!!

I'm glad to know you're getting happier.

Jessica said...

I would love to do a "little" run on Thanksgiving! I haven't done much more than 3 miles though. I know I'm a weakling. Maybe I'll just run in spirit with you.

Robin Beck said...

It's amazing how yucky I feel when I don't exercise...I was just talking to myself today (Yes, sometimes I talk to myself) :) about getting out there and hitting the mountains.
Glad to see you are getting back on track.
Robin~♥

tiki_lady said...

hmmm... I never thought I might be pregnant. Maybe, I should go take a test. Maybe that is why my scale is wacked!

oh wait, I forgot I need a uterus. Shoot, I better get running, too.

annie valentine said...

Seriously? I am giving you literal High Fives at this moment. You rock. If I didn't have bad knees and bad ankles and a broken back, I'd jog down from Layton and join you.

Rock those endorphins!

Little GrumpyAngel said...

I so admire you for having the kind of character that goes for it! Way to go! I think that it's wonderful that you found something that has such positive effects on you and you are willing to make the effort to make it happen. I wanna be YOU! Seriously. I need to get my hiny off this chair and start working out soon.

Mikki said...

You're so awesome!! I wish I had the motivation to get out and even just walk. I'm just not a runner, but I wish sometimes that I was. Maybe I ought to just give it a shot.
Thanks for the shout-out. You get three entries. Good luck!!

Devri said...

Maybe I need to take a test too.

Wait, no I don't I know I am not,

just lazy.

Rebecca said...

I'm reading this RIGHT before I take off for a morning run. You make me laugh...oh, I see myself in your blog so often! I am doing a 1/2 in January because after moving here a year and half ago on a long time fitness high I realized that I'm not on a five year vacation and those twice a week workouts and decline in eating habits are catching up with me. It was my very messed up scale and shunkin' jeans that are pushing me out the door today and caused some very downer days :(

Elisa said...

I thought I was going to run that turkey trot this year.

But, I can't even run to my mailbox.

I will be your cheerleader though!

Elisa said...

ps. your blog is ROCKIN'!!

Andrea said...

So, you thought you would start slow? And you go 11 miles? What is slow about that? I tip my hat to you, that is amazing!

kitchenditcher said...

I run. Oh yeah. I run myself ragged. So I am so proud of you!

Anonymous said...

Hilarious! I was laughing out loud, since the marathon I have been feeling the same way (tired, weight gain, etc.ect.) and actually took a pregnancy test too. Negative as I suspected but would have made a great excuse for the weight gain and laziness.
Kristen A.