Thursday, November 13, 2008

Random Crap and Stuff...and more music!

Dangit! I really need to start writing stuff down! I had all these great ideas. And again....they're gone. Hopefully they'll come back. This is why my blog isn't funny. It is completely, and totally Off. The. Cuff. None of my blog posts are premeditated. Because I'm too hair-brained to remember any good thoughts I've had, or too dense to write it down when I do have good thoughts (which are rare anyway).

I do have a very funny Christmas tree story, but I'm saving it for later. I can't bring myself to discuss anything Christmas-y before Thanksgiving. It's one of my personal morals. No offense, and please know that I love you all, in all your holiday-annoyingness, but I can't stand it when people start doing Christmas stuff, playing Christmas music, etc. before Thanksgiving.

I mean, come on, people, you're skipping a really great Holiday.

Not only are we forgetting to be grateful, but we're just going to skip it all together, and get straight to the "getting stuff." Now, ask yourself, since we're on the subject. WWJD? I think you know the answer. He'd tell you to put away the sale ads, tacky inflated snowmen, and twinkle lights, and start thinking about how you should appreciate what you already have, and just be grateful to have a simple Holiday where you can enjoy a delicious meal, surrounded by people you love.

After binging on Turkey and yams, then you can go all hog-wild for Kris Kringle. M-kay?



**************



That said. I have a confession to make. You know how I've been something of a holiday scrooge of late? If you haven't noticed, then Thank you for seeing the good in me. I really have been boycotting all festivity regarding Holidays (including Halloween), especially with decorating, cooking (hence the buying birthday cakes), and whatnot.

Well, I'm starting to get excited for Thanksgiving. Can you tell, I LOVE this holiday? I'm very grateful that I don't have to cook Thanksgiving dinner this year (BTW, that's my grateful #14).

But, for the last 20 years, I have had a tradition of making Wassail for Thanksgiving every year. I must say, my recipe for Wassail is THE best you've ever tasted. And no, I'm not selling the recipe (Ok, maybe, if you make me an offer I can't refuse)

So, if you want to have a taste, then just invite me to your holiday party, and I will bring some.

It is TO DIE FOR!!!

**************

I am consistently at least 5 minutes (or more) late for everything. For years, this fact has baffled me. I get everyone read on time, I get myself ready on time (usually). But, recently, I finally discovered what the problem is. I have a set time in my head for when we need to leave. I usually allow the minimum amount of time allotted to get from point A to point B. So, if it takes 15 minutes to drive somewhere then we leave 15 minutes before it starts. Rain, snow, sleet or shine.
The real problem is that after years of having 3 children, I still forget to account for the fact that it takes like 10 minutes to gather everyone and get them all buckled into the car. There goes our precious driving time. Hence, we're running late.
My new goal this week is to start getting the monkeys in the car 10 minutes BEFORE we have to leave.
Does anyone else have this problem?

**************

This little tidbit is for the people in my neighborhood. So, if you're not, feel free to skip ahead.

My stake has exercise classes during the week. I only go to the Friday Yoga class, because I run and/or go my gym on the other days. But, can I just say, that the girl (whose name I've forgotten, I'm a dork) is an amazing teacher. She teaches at one of our local gyms (unfortunately NOT the one I currently go to), and she has a rockin' body, and I love this Yoga class. It kicks my butt, EVERY WEEK. I always thought Yoga was easy and boring, and just a bunch of stupid stretches until I started going to this class.
Currently, I am the ONLY person in my ward who goes. What is UP with that?!! Come on, people! I don't know if the word is just not getting out, or what, but I'm here to say get up off your lazy butts and come join me in this incredible Yoga class!
It starts at 8:55 on Fridays at the Stake Center. There are other classes on other days, but I don't know those details.
So, seriously, if you want to come next Friday, call or email me, and I'll come pick you up.
(FYI, I do go a little late because I have to drop TJ off at preschool first)

Or, if you don't live by me, then find a Yoga class, or go for a walk or do SOMETHING. It might seem daunting or hard at first, but exercise makes you feel sooo good! Do it! NOW!!!!

Ok, I might still be on a little endorphin high from yesterday's run. Or from the Yoga class I just got home from.
But, when you find something you truly LOVE, you just want to share the joy with EVERYONE!!!

****************

I think it's about time I took the Thriller song off my playlist, since it's now way past Halloween, don't you?

How about a new random list of tunes!!!

1. Like Whoa (Aly & AJ)
2. We Close Our Eyes (Oingo Boingo)
3. Hold Me Now (Thompson Twins)
4. I Get Weak (Belinda Carlisle)
5. Complicated (Avril Lavigne)
6. So What (Pink)
7. One Step at a time (Jordin Sparks)
8. Better In Time (Leona Lewis)
9. Dangerous (Roxette)
10. Bold as Love (John Mayer)

Bonus:
All At Once (Jack Johnson)

20 comments:

Robin Beck said...

Wow Sher, have you been something of a holiday scrooge lately? I didn't really notice. :)
This is how I feel about Thanksgiving or any other holiday. I don't like people telling me when I should do things. Like Valentines day is the day you are to show your love to your loved ones. Hello WWJD? Show his love every day not just one stupid money making holiday for florist, jewelery and card people. Thanksgiving...Time to be thankful...WWJD-Be Thankful every day. I feel blessed to be alive every day of my life. Halloween-YOU don't even want to get me started on this wicked holiday. I worked in a prison and you would be shocked to hear the things that happen on Halloween. I could go on and on (AND I have) about many many holidays but the one I love the most and that celebrates what I believe is Christmas...Jesus was born! JOY to the World the LORD has come. It doesn't get better then this! So yes, I am one of those Christmas pushers and yes the meaning of Christmas has gone south in many areas but not in my heart. I listen to the music and see the twinkle lights and they bring joy to my heart. They make me so thankful that the Lord sent his son to die on the cross for us all. So yes, this is the one holiday that I do celebrate and the sad thing about it is it's the shortest this year being the Thanksgiving holiday is so late in the month.
One other reason that I am gearing up for Christmas early is because I have a granddaughter that is going to be born right before Christmas or the day after (induced) so my holiday season is going to be packed with family,friends and wisemen coming to see the baby in the manger (okay, we did break down and got the cutie a crib!)
I have so much joy in my heart I could burst and I have all over in your comment section (sorry) :)
So I hope you still love me even though I am decorating for Christmas and listening to Christmas music (and giving away a stocking next Tuesday full of goodies)-You really want to break your Christmas rule and come over on Tuesday and sign up for this! If you win I PROMISE I won't send it to you until AFTER Thanksgiving! :)
Big Hugs-
Have a GREAT weekend,
Robin~♥

Kristina P. said...

Yeah, the over Christmasization really bugs me. I totally get it. But, I can't wait for it to come!

Spence said...

Sherrie, I read your kids qoutes and they are hilarious. where did you get such cool kids?

Shauna said...

Your blog is awesome! Thanks! ♥

Jan said...

I do love Thanksgiving too. I am all about the history behind the holiday. And the pumpkin pie of course.

MERRIANNE said...

i want the WASSAIL recipe :)

and i love YOUR MUSIC!!!! seriously Sher--you rock!!!!!

Sarah said...

Amen on the Christmas thing, I have good ideas until I sit down to blog too, and even though I am not in your ward I would more than willingly go to your yoga class with you! I have been looking for something like that for a while now!

Wonder Woman said...

I'm glad that you love thanksgiving so much! It's a beautiful holiday. And I'm the same way about writing it down to blog about. I've seriously had like 5 ideas for somewhat funny posts and can't remember one of them.

I WANT A GYM MEMBERSHIP!!! Lots of women from my ward all go to the local gym and I want to go so badly.....just need to get funding approval from the board. I'm glad that you're back in your workout routine -- from the little we see of you on your blog, you seem to be doing much better since you've started running/working out again. Yay!

Have fun at Into the Woods and tomorrow with hubby!!

Elisa said...

Ok OK OK OK OK OK OH-freaking-KAY!

I will get off my lazy arse and go to the class with you next Friday. But, no laughing at me because I start huffing when she says "Ok. Now everyone do the dolphin stretch" Because I will huff. And then I will laugh.

Can't wait. Good times!

tracystreehouse said...

two things. i don't have $$ to buy this fabulous wassail recipe from you but i can swear to bob hope to die stick a needle in my eye double dog pinky swear that i won't tell it to anyone if you share it with me. think about it. i don't make promises like that for just anything, you know. another thing. how do i do this whole running to get my big fat butt in shape thing started?!

Redhoodoos said...

Ya see the way I look at it is that I'm multi tasking. I can simultaneously enjoy two holidays at once! I love me the Thanksgiving - I really really do - it's just I love the Christmas decorations more than Thanksgiving. So, on Thanksgiving Day I can enjoy in the gratefulness of the day while staring at my Christmas tree in the corner of my room. LOL.

You're great!

Scrappy Girl said...

Popped over while blog surfing...we read several of the same ones!

I LOVE the songs So What and One Step At A Time...you should try Fall For You by Secondhand Serenade...I love it too!

BTW...I hate Christmas stuff done before Thanksgiving...I ban it all until around 5 pm Turkey Day!

tammy said...

Okay but will you travel to AZ for one of those holiday parties and bring your wassail?

Mikki said...

Hey, as long as you're going to AZ, might as well stop in Vegas too, and bring that wassail!

I love this whole crazy time of year. I won't put out decorations though, until the day after Thanksgiving. While everyone with money is out spending theirs in those crazy crowded stores, I'm sipping cocoa, listening to Christmas music and puttin' out my decorations.

Jen said...

I'm with you on so many of the things you posted. Wish I didn't workon Fridays or I'd be right there with you at Yoga. Sounds fun. Oh, and I totally boycot Christmas before Thanksgiving thing...I refuse to listen to any station playing Christmas music right now. Thanks for your comments about my Drama Queen child. You're probably right, it's probably the HM frenzy! Hey, I was looking at your book list and it looks like we've got a lot of the same taste in books. I have a Goodreads list too on my blog! Have a great weekend. Hugs to you.

chelle said...

I would so go to Yoga with you. I have just started the yoga thing and am loving it.

I use to be late all the time, but then I got married to the most "I have to be on time man there is" so I am much better now.

If I need to be somewhere at 9:00 and it is 15 minutes away, I plan on leaving about 8:30. This way I am on time. Just and idea, it works for me. m

kitchenditcher said...

WAIT! WAIT! WAIT! Where's the WASSAIL recipe???? I SO neeeeeeeed this one!!

And I also vehemently disagree that your blog isn't funny. I chuckle EVERY time that I visit.

And aren't you impressed that I used the word vehemently? Yeah, I know...pretty cool

Da Bergs said...

I can NOT believe you did NOT post the recipe!!!!

Andrea said...

I went to Yoga throughout the summer (not at the Stake Center, but at our building with Jennifer and uh, the other lady, who isn't doing it anymore) but Yoga and Jayden do not mix. I just can't go until he is well...umm...I don't know if he'll ever be easy enough to take anywhere.

Cynthia said...

My husband feels the SAME way you do. His favorite holiday is Thanksgiving. I'm trying to keep my Christmas enthusiasm down to a dull roar but he spent most of yesterday afternoon putting up the Christmas lights. I used the excuse that better to do it now than when the REALLY cold weather sets in. Poor guy.

I'm also consistently late for the same reason you mentioned. If I can be consistent in my lateness then I SHOULD be able to get there consistently on-time, shouldn't I?