Thursday, November 6, 2008

Thankful #6



I've been wracking my brain all morning, trying to come up with something specific to be thankful for. I didn't think I'd get stumped this early in the game. It goes to show what a terrible habit I have of whining and complaining.

It's especially difficult amid the 3 year old meltdown going on. I think she's mad because I helped her into the car after preschool, and she wanted to do it herself.

My next investment: soundproof bedroom doors.

I do have to say this. I am truly, truly amazed at how much this being thankful thing has helped me. I think Sister C, from my Enrichment night was right. Having gratitude does bring you happiness. Since I've started forcing myself to think about what I'm grateful for, it has vastly improved my attitude toward myself, my daily tasks, and especially my demeanor with my children and my relationship with my husband.

I've noticed my husband is suddenly more helpful around the house, is more eager to come home earlier from work, and stays upstairs when he gets home instead of heading straight downstairs to his "apartment" to watch his games. I'm not saying that I really had anything to do with this, because he's made a lot more changes than my little attitude change. Maybe it's just that. My attitude. Maybe he's always been helpful, and I just didn't notice, because I was so focused on finding fault.

But, that he came home last night, and did a couple of really amazing things. First, he changed the sheets on our bed (because my little "animal" had another accident the night before and I hadn't gotten to it), and he brought me a bottle of water for my nightstand while I was brushing my teeth (we always keep water by our bed at night). I know those things seem really little and insignificant, but they meant a great deal to me, because I knew he was doing them just for me, and that really means alot. After that we had a really great talk. The best we've had in months. For the first time in a long time, I felt like we really opened up to each other, and joked and laughed.



I think when I focus on finding the good in him, and the things he does for me, then it makes me love him that much more, and makes me want to do things for him.
Today, (and everyday for that matter), I'm so very thankful for my wonderful husband. I'm so grateful to have him in my life. He's a great man, and a fabulous father, and hard worker, and I truly appreciate all he does for our family.

I love you, Clint!

15 comments:

Andrea said...

It's funny how you can live in the same house, eat at the same table, watch the same TV and sleep in the same bed, and find that weeks have gone by where you haven't really "talked". Thanks for the perspective:)

Wonder Woman said...

I'm glad you're thankful for your husband. I know some wives who aren't.....why make life harder than it needs to be?!

If you don't mind, I think I'll do a thankful post every now and then this month....sounds like a really good idea.

Love your new template!

The Motherboard said...

That is awesome!! I also find that when I focus on the positive and all the good stuff-- the bad just sort of washes away.

Great post!

word ver: depop

The first thing I thought of was depo--the birth control shot. I think my sub conscience is telling me I am WAY done...

*MARY* said...

I love the new blog look, and I loved this post. You've made me realize that my husband does countless "little" things that I never thank him for, I'm always complaining about the little things he doesn't do. I'm going to try and change my attitude.

Janice said...

Oh what a handsome man you are married to!

Kristina P. said...

Wow, you two are HOTT!!

Jan said...

What a lovely guy and partner. I am so glad that you have him Sher.

Mikki said...

Sweet post. I often overlook all the little things my hubby does too. I need to open my eyes a bit more.

kitchenditcher said...

You are SO right! Those little things can just make your day. I leave the house before my husband does and sometimes I will put toothpaste on his toothbrush and leave it out on the sink so it is ready to go when he needs it. Just one of those little things. I have a keeper too in my hubby. Aren't we lucky??

Allred Family said...

What a sweet tribute to your husband, you guys are a handsome couple. You are right, it is all about the little things in life. Thanks for the reminder.

Robin Beck said...

You two are sooooo cute together!~♥

tiki_lady said...

It is so true! He was doing those things for you. He didn't have to. He knew it would help you. As you both continue to do little things, little insignificant things you will find HUGE significant differences in your love for each other and in your communication and in your desire.
TRUE!
Always looking for the good and the positive in a spouse is key. It's easy when things are going good, its even harder when a couple is struggling. You two look so good together. I love long intimate talks with my man. I like pillow talk.

Little GrumpyAngel said...

Sounds like you are blessed with a fabulous husband to start with, but you're right about a change in perspective when you see things with a grateful heart. The good things come into better focus, and the not so good fade back into the background. You are so good for making the effort to be grateful for your blessings. I have gratitude as my theme for the month on my blog, too.

tammy said...

Oh that's sweet. I know it's easy to take the little things for granted. I don't always appreciate the things my hubby does for me, or realize his ways of trying to show he loves me. You are a cute couple.

Ashley said...

You guys are SO cute together!!!